Ice Stories
Exploratorium Home

Archive for November, 2009

To the West Antarctic Ice Sheet

MCMURDO STATION, ANTARCTICA--- Today we go! Both McMurdo and WAIS Divide weather are permitting us to fly! Soon I will board a C-130 Hercules and fly for four hours (about 1,000 miles) to the middle of the West Antarctica Ice Sheet.... {Read More »}

Beacon Valley Timelapse

BEACON VALLEY, ANTARCTICA-- There are two things that I never get accustomed to while in Antarctica: the beauty of the landscape and the rapid changes in weather... {Read More »}

The Power of the Wind and Tides

MCMURDO STATION, ANTARCTICA-- The pressure ridges we explored here form where a large mass of sea ice buckles under pressure as it makes contact with land (in this case, Ross Island where McMurdo Station and Scott Base are located). It was like walking through a park of ice sculptures!... {Read More »}

The Best of the Seven Continents!

MCMURDO STATION, ANTARCTICA-- On November 18th, we actually got the go ahead to head south! Our C-17 airplane was ready and the weather at McMurdo had finally cleared... {Read More »}

Bay of Sails

BAY OF SAILS, ANTARCTICA– One of the main goals of SCINI is to explore new areas. Our first target this year is Bay of Sails. I selected this general location because it is an “iceberg graveyard." {Read More »}

Getting Thrown into the Fire (Freezer)

SOUTH POLE, ANTARCTICA-- Marc and Cully left on schedule leaving my partner and me to take over. Wouldn’t you know it, the very next day my partner has to leave the ice for a health-related issue and I’m left to run the station on my own having only been there a little over a week!... {Read More »}

Pack Those Bags…Tomorrow We Go!

CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND-- We got all of gear organized and we are scheduled to fly to McMurdo Station, Antarctica tomorrow! This video gives you an idea of what we will be wearing... {Read More »}

New Zealand Adventures

CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND-- Bad weather and a lack of flights to get camp set up, caused a week-long delay for five of us in Christchurch, New Zealand. We visited beaches, rainforest, and mountains... {Read More »}

Bad Weather Day

BEACON VALLEY, ANTARCTICA-- The early morning started out with blustery winds and soon snow from the polar plateau started blowing in; it was by far the worst weather we have experienced during this field season... {Read More »}

9,000 Miles Down and 2,000 to Go

CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND-- After long hours on the plane, crossing the international dateline, and lots of security checkpoints, I have finally traveled the first leg of my long journey!... {Read More »}